Although the advertisers and shops would like us to believe that everything is rosy, snugly, comfy and relaxed, at times the lead up to Christmas can be incredibly stressful for lots of reasons:-
- It’s an additional financial burden
- With whom do you spend Christmas? Does this mean upsetting other family members?
- What to buy family/friends that “have everything”?
- How to get organised so everything is done before the big day.
- Missing loved ones over the festive period.
At this time of the year we are more exposed to pressures from media, retailers and our own family and friends. But what is the essence of Christmas? Are we kowtowing to commercialism?
For some, Christmas is an affirmation of their beliefs, for others a chance to reunite with people. However we can get swept away in the hype and pressure and start to lose a sense of ourselves and our values.
Can we ignore the expectation to spend lots of money? What would that say about us? Over the years I have found that providing experiences rather than presents can mean so much more. The experience of spending quality time, doing something different, doing a kind act often lasts a lot longer that something that is bought (and maybe not wanted). What exactly do we need? For most of us we actually need very little in material terms but what we do need and want is love, friendship, companionship, fun and laughter in our lives and those things are priceless.
So here are some tips to lessen the Christmas stress:
- Make a list throughout the year of things you would like. Then in December you have a list you give to others – you get what you want and others don’t have to think so avoiding unwanted gifts.
- Each evening, plan the night before, 3 priorities tasks from your to do list.
- Take a walk everyday to clear your head.
- Be mindful of what you are doing/feeling/seeing/hearing – spend a bit of time in the present (excuse the pun!) moment rather than in your head.
- Delegate! Allow others to share the tasks and jobs.
- Don’t forget to have fun!
- Plan in time for relaxation and being pampered
- Tap away stress using EFT
- Remember the things that are really important in your life and put aside the pressure from others.